No. 3 Marin Cilic suffered a stunning upset to Guido Pella in five sets on Thursday, ultimately losing to Pella in reverse sweep fashion. Cilic took the first two sets before Pella stormed back to win the next three 6-4, 7-6, 7-5. It’s Cilic’s earliest exit since the 2017 Australian Open, and the first Grand Slam this year in which he didn’t make at least a quarterfinal appearance.
Rafael Nadal, meanwhile, continued to roll with a sweep of Mikhail Kukushkin, continuing his dominance. Nadal won five break points in the match and an insane 77 percent of his second serves. He continues his collision course through the bracket, and will now find himself facing off against Alex de Minaur. Nick Kyrgios also continued his strong run with a sweep of Robin Haase. The Aussie, whose highest win percentage is at Wimbledon, will now find himself in the third round of a major for the second time this year (he lost in the fourth round of the Australian Open in January.
In the women’s bracket, after a strong win over Gabriella Taylor, Eugenie Bouchard’s Wimbledon abruptly hit a wall against No. 17 Ashleigh Barty. In the Round of 64, Barty defeated Bouchard 6-4, 7-5, knocking Bouchard out of the second round or earlier. She hasn’t made a third round in a Grand Slam since the 2017 Australian Open.
Also in the women’s bracket, No. 11 Angelique Kerber survived a scare against the USA’s Claire Lue, ultimately ending up victorious 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Back on the men’s side, the United States’ Frances Tiafoe defeated Julien Benneteau in four sets in a match in which he won six break points. Stan Wawrinka met an early exit with a sweep at the hands of Thomas Fabbiano. And No. 8 Kevin Anderson punched his ticket to the Round of 32 with a strong win over Andreas Seppi.
Men’s Thursday Wimbledon results
- No. 2 Rafael Nadal defeats Mikhail Kukushkin 6-4, 6-3, 6-4
- Guido Pella defeats No. 3 Marin Cilic 3-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-6, 7-5
- No. 8 Kevin Anderson defeats Andreas Seppi 6-3, 6-7, 6-3, 6-4
- No. 12 Novak Djokovic defeats Horacio Zeballos 6-1, 6-2, 6-3
- No. 15 Nick Kyrgios defeats Robin Haase 6-3, 6-4, 6-5
- No. 28 Philipp Kohlschreiber defeats Gilles Muller 7-6, 7-6, 7-6
- No. 31 Stefanos Tsitsipas defeats Jared Donaldson 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 4-6, 6-3
- Frances Tiafoe defeats Julien Benneteau 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-2
- Gilles Simon defeats Matteo Berrettini 6-3, 7-6, 6-2
- Thomas Fabbiano defeats Stan Wawrinka 7-6, 6-3, 7-6
- Alex de Minaur defeats Pierre-Hughes Herbert 6-2, 6-7, 7-5, 6-3
Women’s Thursday Wimbledon results
- No. 11 Angelique Kerber defeats Claire Lue 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
- No. 14 Daria Kasatkina defeats Yulia Putintseva 6-2, 6-3
- No. 15 Elise Mertens defeats Sachia Vickery 6-1, 6-3
- No. 17 Ashleigh Barty defeats Eugenie Bouchard 6-4, 7-5
- No. 18 Naomi Osaka defeats Katie Boulter 6-3, 6-4
- No. 23 Barbora Strykova defeats Lesia Tsurenko 6-1, 6-4
- No. 26 Daria Gavrilova defeats Samantha Stosur 6-4, 6-1
- No. 27 Carla Suarez Navarro defeats Sara Sorribes Tormo 6-4, 6-1
- Katerina Siniakova defeats Ons Jabeur 5-7, 6-4, 9-7
- Hsieh Su-wei defeats Lara Arruebarrena 6-3, 6-3